Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Gift of Zucchini

Good morning everyone! It has been a crazy fun filled week here. We are back from Paradise PA. It was Paradise! Pardon the pun. I just started this blog and have not even picked a name for it. If you have any cool suggestions please let me know. While I was in PA at my sister-in-laws house, Maile, she gave me quite a few zucchini. I brought them home and lo and behold, my zucchini crop has grown crazy.... I knew that I needed to use these up and that I had hardly any food in the freezer or fridge. So here is the recipe that I came up with and that my family enjoyed.

Zucchini and Sausage Kaisers

1 extremely lg zucchini, cut up in chunks
1 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pkg of Portuguese sausage, or is substituting kielbasa or smoked sausage
1 cup of marinara sauce
1/4 cup of parm
6-8 good kaiser rolls

Preheat oven to 350.
Get out your nice saute pan and turn the heat on medium. Add 1 tsp of oil and 1 tsp of garlic. Cut up in nice chunks your giant zucchini and add to the glorious garlic. Salt and pepper here guys. You can't forget to season...Saute for about 15minutes stirring occasionally. Now sprinkle in your crushed red pepper. I like to press them into my hand before sprinkling them in to release there oils. While this is bubbling away cut up your sausage into thin slices and drop them in. Cook until completely done and then drain any extra oil or zucchini juices out of your pan. This is your choice right now, add in the the marinara sauce now or fill your kaisers and then put 1 TBSP of marinara on each one. See I give you choices. Now go get your tin foil and cut off 6-8 squares. Cut your kaiser rolls in half and start putting the filling in. Make sure you have decided on the method of marinara. Then on top of your filling sprinkle however much parm on it and place the top of the roll on it. Wrap in tinfoil and place in oven for 10 minutes at the most, you are just warming this folks. Everything is cooked already. My children thought this was good as well as my vegetable picky husband. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Now onto my day as a stay at home mother of 3 wonderfully wacky children. I hear my laundry and ironing calling me. If I am not back on with a new post tomorrow please send the rescue squad. Also look for next Monday's post. I am going to start joining Menu Plan Monday with recipes.... Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment